Our bodies consist mostly of water, so it is essential that we drink enough water. When we are trying to lose weight, water plays a huge role in ridding our bodies of toxins. What most people don’t know is that it is possible to drink too much water. The usual indication is eight glasses of water per day. This is only and indication, and might be too much for a specific individual. Listen to your body.
Water & Other Weight Loss Drinks
1. Ice cold water
You can burn up to an extra 100 calories per day drinking ice cold water because…
Your body has to burn calories (or fat) in order to heat the ice cold water back up to your body temperature so You’ll lose an extra10 lbs. a year JUST by drinking ice cold water.
- Water before meals makes you eat less & lose weight faster
- Water curbs your appetite because being thirsty tricks you into thinking you’re hungry.
- Water allows your liver to burn more fat.
- Water gives you a flat belly by flushing out excess water weight.
I had a client who lost 20 pounds in 1 week after adding JUST water to his diet because he was so bloated. Stew Smith, Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
2. Fat Free Milk
- Calcium suppresses calcitriol which is a hormone that basically makes you fatter and with calcitriol out of the way your body can breakdown fat much faster.
- Calcium suppresses your appetite preventing you from gaining weight and only allowing you to lose more weight as you eat less.
3. Green Tea
- You’ll burn 35-to-43% more fat daily drinking 3-to-5 cupsof green tea or using a supplement
- Green tea contains caffeine whichincreases your fat burning metabolism
- Green tea is a diuretic which flushes out excess water weight.
- See more weight loss benefits of green tea
4. Vegetable Juice or V8
Drinking a glass of vegetable juice before your meals may cause you to eat 135 less calories according to a study done at Penn. state university and even if you can’t make vegetable juice…
Drinking a couple glasses of water before meals will also make you eat much less so you lose more weight.
It’s the caffeine in coffee that suppresses your appetite & increases your metabolism plus… The caffeine gives you more energy during your fat burning workouts making you last longer and work harder helping you lose weight faster but…
You shouldn’t drink more than 1-to-2 cups per day and get more info here on exactly how to use coffee to lose weight.
6. Yogurt Based Smoothies
Not only will the thickness of the smoothie kill your appetite but since Yogurt is loaded with calcium just like milk…
- This Study shows you can lose 61% more fat and 81% more belly fat when adding yogurt to your diet because…
- The calcium in yogurt helps you burn fat while limiting the amount of fat your body can make.
Not only did yogurt help the study participants lose more weight — the average weight loss was 14 lbs. — they were about twice as effective at maintaining lean muscle massMichael Zemel, PhD, professor of nutrition at the Univ. of Tenn.
7. Whey protein
- Whey protein helps you lose more fat and maintain more leanmuscle while on a weight loss diet
- Whey protein helps you release a lot of cholecystokinin (CCK) which is an appetite suppressing hormone & in this study…
- People ate a lot less when drinking whey protein 90 minutes before they went to a buffet.
- Whey protein may also help regulate blood sugar and insulin for less fat storage & more fat burning.
- Whey protein along with other high protein foods are highly thermogenic meaning your body has to work extra hard to digest it.
Whey is perhaps the most effective dietary strategy to aid weight loss because it is the most thermogenic food source you can eat. This means it burns the most calories after you eat it. Paul Arciero, director of the Human Nutrition and Metabolism Lab at Skidmore College
Herbal teas are interesting hot beverages due to their variety in flavours.There are also many slimming teas that you can try to assist you with your weight loss. One may also add a touch of cinnamon,lemon juice or a little honey to enhance the flavours.
Here are a few hot beverages to consider:
- Chinese slimming tea and green tea are known to regulate the metabolic processes in the body through their high antioxidant content.
- High-quality herbal teas assist with digestion and should be consumed without milk, cream or sugar depending on the diet plan that you choose to follow.
- Another great hot drink is hot water and lemon and according to some healthcare professionals, lemon juice taken with hot water has many health benefits. A hot lemon drink is a low-calorie drink that has a detoxifying effect. The drink works best if taken before meals. People are advised to drink a glass of hot lemon water as soon as they get up in the morning. The hot lemon drink not only helps the body flush out toxins, but also decreases the incidence of stomach bloating and fluid retention while aiding in weight loss.
- Black coffee is another hot drink that may be enjoyed.Caffein is often excluded from weight loss diet plans but for those coffee drinkers, there is always decaf coffee.
Caffeine is a stimulant which will create a thermogenic response — meaning your metabolism will speed up and you’ll burn more calories. It’s also a diuretic, which will help you lose water weight in the short-term, says the National Institutes of Health.
Caffeine is discouraged on low carb diets for two reasons. First, Dr. Robert Atkins believes that caffeine adversely affects blood sugar which will lead to sugar cravings. And second, although most people assume coffee is carb-free, it is not. A 6-ounce serving of coffee has .8 grams of carb. Because the FDA allows manufacturers to round down on Nutrition Facts labels, most products say they contain 0 carbs. So the average 16-ounce coffee from the coffee shop actually contains more than 2 grams of carbs. This may not seem like a lot, but the induction phase of the Atkins diet calls for no more than 10 to 12 grams of carbs daily. Visit the coffee shop twice and you’ve consumed 30 percent of your carbs for the day.